Frequently Asked Questions

What Can I donate?

We accept most running cars, trucks, boats, RV’s and equipment. 

What information do I need in order to donate my vehicle or boat?

You must have a life free title in your possession before the vehicle or boat can be picked up.  We also need:

  • The year, make and model of your donation.
  • The mileage of the vehicle or hours on a boat.
  • The VIN# or serial number found on your title or registration.

Will there be any cost to me?

No. We will pick up your donation anywhere in the U.S.A. free of charge.  Sometimes we are unable to accept a vehicle because the cost of transportation and sellers fees exceeds the value of the donation.  In some locations we are able to offset this potential loss by asking donors to contribute towards the transportation charge.

How do I transfer the title of my donation?

The donor must sign their signature on the seller’s line on the title.  The name on the title must be the same as the signature on the seller’s line.  If not, a notarized power of attorney must accompany the title.  Fill in Hospice of Palm Beach County Foundation in the purchaser section.

What happens to my donation?

All donations are sold retail, through auctions, licensed dealers and brokers.

Is my donation tax deductible?

Yes. Hospice of Palm Beach County Foundation is an independent not-for-profit 501(c)(3) charitable organization.  Please consult your tax advisor for additional information or advice.

How is the value of my donation determined?

When you donate your car, boat or RV the IRS allows deductions based on a minimum of $500.00 or the price that the charity receives for the donation if higher.  Often a very clean vehicle or boat will bring very close to blue book value.  We strive to get the highest returns possible for our generous donors.

What about fair market value?

Only certain car, boat, yacht or RV’s will qualify for fair market value deductions.  If your late model boat or van ends up being used to further the work of our non-profit organization or we repair or recondition your donation and make a substantial improvement to it then yes, you receive a “Fair Market Value” deduction.

What documents do I receive after making a donation?

  • We send you a Receipt of Donation listing what and when you donated.
  • We provide an IRS 8283 form for tax purposes.
  • We provide IRS form 1098C upon the sale of your donation.
  • We provide an “Acknowledgement of Donation” letter.
  • If your vehicle or boat is sold for more than $500.00 an IRS 8282 form showing the higher selling price will be sent to you and the IRS.
  • An odometer statement for you to fill out and return to us in the provided self addressed envelope.

IRS Forms 8283, 8282, 1098C and the Receipt of Donation should accompany your Form 1040 for the tax year in which the donation was made if you plan to claim a charitable deduction for the gift.  The tax-deductible value of donations depends on the specific financial status of the donor.  For that reason, we urge all prospective donors to consult with their tax advisors before making any donation on which they plan to take a deduction.  We also suggest that you review IRS Publications 561 and 526 which sets forth the manner in which the IRS requires you to determine the value of your donated property.

For more information or questions call us at (888) 885-3602.


Copyright 2014 TrustBridge, Inc. - All Rights Reserved.